Fall break announced for 2015

Fall break announced for 2015

Connor Johnson | Staff Reporter
Published April 7, 2015; 1:10 p.m.

The faculty, dean, and president councils of Lindenwood University recently approved a measure to implement a Fall Break during the 2015-2016 academic year.

This break will occur during the fall semester on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 12-13, 2015.

Lindenwood will now join the ranks of the other schools in its geographic area and those in the MIAA conference that have fall breaks that range from two days long to an extended Thanksgiving Break.

In the past, officials at Lindenwood did not approve a fall break to allow professors the freedom to cover required material in light of a shorter semester in the spring.

President James Evans said, “The spring semester had been slightly shorter than the fall, and this makes the two similar in length and does no harm to course content.”

Evans believes the faculty will have to present the essential material more efficently, but this is common for classes taught in the spring semester.

Due to a reduction in classes held in the spring since 2009, from special circumstances such as Sibley Day, Good Friday, and classes canceled because of inclement weather, the Faculty Council recognized disparity between the amounts of classes held during the fall and spring semesters.

They then proposed this break to Lindenwood officials. Amendments were made to the measure by the Dean’s council, and then it was approved by the Board of Directors.

Professor John Cawly, who chaired the subcommittee of the faculty council along with three other faculty members, helped to write the proposal.

“I am very pleased that the new schedule will provide the faculty with the opportunity to present the same materials in each semester. This is a positive step forward,” said Cawly.

Along with being a benefit to students, professors will be able to use this time to grade assignments and exams as this break coincides with the issuing of mid-term grades.

“I think students will welcome the break,” said Evans. “I see it as a respite. Some people use it to catch up on work, others have a break from the same routine.”

He believes the break could lift the energy and spirit of the whole campus.