Dogs dress in their best for the biggest party in St. Louis

[su_divider top=”no” size=”4″ margin=”45″]Emily Miller[/su_divider]

Cassie HallLUTV
February 3, 2016; Noon

The Beggin Pet Parade marked the beginning of Mardi Gras for the 23rd time on Sunday. It’s a day dedicated to dressing up and showing off the four-legged members of your family.

The parade and best-dressed contest in Soulard brought in pet lovers from all over the area.

Participants dressed their pets in costumes in hopes of winning the best dressed contest.
Photo by Cassie Hall

Kimberly McQuay has walked her dog in the parade for five years. McQuay says it’s a day that her whole family, including her dog, enjoys. “He’s a rescue dog, he’s just a sweetheart. We love coming over here and especially on a day that’s this nice. Just the ambiance here in St. Louis, you can’t beat it.”

Even though dogs were the main attraction on Sunday, the event celebrated all pets and animals. A petting zoo with a camel, goats and llamas allowed kids to interact with different types of animals.

Anthony Antoine, a volunteer for Mardi Gras Inc., has worked at the Pet Parade for seven years. He said he enjoys all the events of Mardi Gras but especially enjoys pet parade day.

On this day, a dog could be more than just a dog.
Photo by Cassie Hall

“You have the little wiener dog race which is obviously fun to watch and see. You have the Taste of Soulard where people can walk down to different establishments and maybe try a part of their fair or whatever they’re offering. There’s something fun to do all day.”

Parade participants could enter their pet into the costume contest. A group of judges determined which costume was the most elaborate and creative. St. Louis Cardinal Trevor Rosenthal, was named grand marshal judge and helped decide which pets were worthy of the cash prize.

Trevor Rosenthal was a judge for the best dressed contest.
Photo by Cassie Hall

John Anderson walked his huge Mastiff, Cody, in the parade. He said even if your dog isn’t the type that likes to dress up, there was still plenty for them to love.

“Other than the parade itself we enjoy going to all the different booths that they have and the games that are set up by Purina so he can get a bunch of free snacks, because he likes that.”

Antoine said it’s a day full of fun and frivolity. “Everybody is having a good time with this weather. It is just fabulous out. It brings more people out and everybody has a lot of fun.”