Lindenwood Monologues put on another successful performance

The microphone that students read their stories of healing. Photo Credit: Emily Miller

[su_divider top=”no” size=”4″ margin=”45″]Emily Miller[/su_divider]

Emily Miller | Reporter
May 4, 2016; 4 p.m.

The microphone that students read their stories of healing.
Photo by Emily Miller

For the fourth year, Lindenwood monologues is an event of healing as students let go of their pain and read personal life stories.

Liz Arnold who has preformed in the Lindenwood monologues for a few years.

“My first piece which was my struggle with being bi-sexual and it was really exciting because I wasn’t sure how to do it. So I think I did it in a really good way,” said Arnold.

This isn’t the first time that Arnold has performed on stage and her message for others is something to learn from.

“When you experience any sort of trauma and if you don’t talk about it, it stays with you and you become this monster if you let it. You don’t have to talk to 50 or 100 people you can say it to one person or yourself even then it is a cleansing experience,” said Arnold.

As students read their monologues in front of an audience.
Photo by Emily Miller

As Arnold is graduating she feels it was time to let out something that she had been holding on to for a while.

“My piece was about a falling out I had with my friend group recently it was a pretty big deal with a lot of turmoil,” said Arnold.

“It was terrifying because I had some of these people were here tonight and I never had time to tell them how I felt. Now I think I can start to let it go and continue my process to move forward,” said Arnold.

For the audience they felt the release of emotion. As professor Suzanne Stoelting felt moved.

“I think my heart was racing the entire time there’s a combination of fear and empathy that you feel,” said Stoelting.

Some of the participants sat and listened to the stories.
Photo by Emily Miller

Faculty adviser of the gender studies club Heather Brown Hudson felt watching the students perform made her proud and also take home life lessons.

“It really moves me, it tears me up, it makes me sad,” said Brown-Hudson.

“As a mother and professor it makes me have sympathy and it makes me parent more carefully. If them sharing their story or start the healing process then for me that’s a great thing.” said Brown-Hudson.