St. Louis man charged in fatal crash involving Lindenwood students is freed

Marcus Jackson, 24, of St. Louis is charged with leaving the scene of a motor vehicle crash. <br> Photo taken from vinelink

Marcus Jackson, 24, of St. Louis is charged with leaving the scene of a motor vehicle crash.
Photo taken from vinelink

ST. LOUIS: A St. Louis man who was charged in a crash on Interstate 70 last month that resulted in the death of one Lindenwood student and injuries to three others has been released on bail, according to court records.

Marcus Jackson, 24, was charged with felony leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident on Nov. 6. His bail originally was set for $75,000 cash only.

But Jackson’s attorney, Celestine Dotson, filed a motion for a bond reduction, and on Nov. 22, Associate Circuit Judge Theresa Counts Burke granted it.

On Tuesday, Jackson posted 10 percent of his $20,0000 bail and was released, courts records show.

Prosecutors objected to the reduction, according to an emailed statement from Susan Ryan, spokesperson for St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce.

“Every defendant has a right to request a bond reduction,” Ryan said.

Marianne Olyslager, 23, a marketing student from Honduras, died from her injuries in the crash. Other students in the car were: Laura Zuniga, Andrea Samayoa and Sinisa Landup.

According to police, Marcus was driving a 2007 Dodge Charger that ran into the back of the car the students were in as both cars traveled eastbound on Interstate 70. Jackson fled the scene on foot and got a ride from the area.

He later admitted he was driving the car and struck the other vehicle.

Ryan said the case is still being investigated, and as additional evidence becomes available, prosecutors could modify the criminal charges against Jackson.

Jackson’s next hearing scheduled for Dec. 5 at the Carnahan Courthouse in St. Louis.