Fire Prevention Week brings fire drills to campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lindenwood maintenance and emergency staff are holding fire drills during the week of Oct. 16 for Fire Prevention Week.  Photo by Kat Owens.

Lindenwood maintenance and emergency staff are holding fire drills during the week of Oct. 16 for Fire Prevention Week.
Photo by Kat Owens.

Photo by Kat Owens.

Photo by Kat Owens.

Video from LUTV News

KYLE RAINEY | News Editor

Lindenwood is hosting dorm fire drills next week in conjunction with Fire Prevention Week.

Plans for the semiannual drill include coordination between the St. Charles Fire Department, Lindenwood residential housing staff and Lindenwood maintenance staff, according to a notice from Emergency Management Supervisor Ray Nabzdyk.

In the notice, Nabzydk said the drills were conducted “to maintain a high degree of response readiness for students and staff. Student safety and well-being is the key goal” for the drills.

This year’s Fire Prevention Week’s theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” according to the National Fire Protection Agency. The organization stated people should close doors when they leave to prevent the spread of smoke, heat and fire; practice home fire drills twice a year; and never go back inside a burning building.