Possible measles exposures in St. Louis suburbs

There+was+a+possible+measles+exposure+in+Kirkwood+and+Chesterfield%2C+Missouri+on+March+13+and+14.+%0A+Photo+from+Pixabay.com.+
There was a possible measles exposure in Kirkwood and Chesterfield, Missouri on March 13 and 14.
Photo from Pixabay.com.

MICHELLE SPROAT | Video Content Manager

Possible measles exposures have been reported in Kirkwood and Chesterfield, Missouri. 

The highly contagious illness may have been exposed on March 13 at The Magic House as well as Racanelli’s New York Pizzeria in Kirkwood. In Chesterfield, exposures may have occurred on March 13 and 14 at Homewood Suites. 

The exposure is currently being investigated by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the St. Louis County Department of Public Health

A person can become infected by contact with an infected person through coughing and sneezing. The measles virus can remain in the air for up to two hours after an infected person has been in the area, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC website, “if one person has [the measles], 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”

Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease and Missouri DHSS recommends checking with a healthcare provider to make sure you are up-to-date on vaccinations. 

For more information on the measles, visit the measles informational page on the CDC website

Graphic by Michelle Sproat.
Information from Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.