Women’s volleyball falls 1-4 in conference

Setter+Jenna+Garrett+in+action+during+a+match+in+Hyland+Arena+against+Rockhurst+University.++Photo+by+Merlina+San+Nicol%C3%A1s+

Setter Jenna Garrett in action during a match in Hyland Arena against Rockhurst University.
Photo by Merlina San Nicolás

The Lindenwood women’s volleyball team lost against the University of Missouri – St. Louis 3-0 on Tuesday night.

The loss puts the Lions on a four-game losing streak and drops them to an 8-6 overall and 1-4 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

In the first set, the Lions kept exchanging points with the Tritons without successfully gaining any lead. The Tritons fired five points in a row to expand the lead to eight points, leaving UMSL only three points away from taking the first set. UMSL ultimately took the win 25-20.

The second and third set were slow for the Lions as they struggled to get the lead. The Titans saw the opportunity and kept the Lions from scoring, taking the win 25-18 and 25-13 respectively.

Freshman Maider Sancho posted six kills, eight digs, one assist, one ace and a .308 attack percentage. Redshirt freshman Mackenzi Sifuentes led the Lions with five kills, four blocks and a .333 attack percentage.

Sophomore Jenna Garrett played all three sets as the setter, posting 28 assists. Senior Sara Wagenknecht was the libero and posted nine digs.

Previously, the Lions fell to William Jewell on Saturday 3-1. Freshman setter Annalise Harry had one of the best performances yet for the Lions as she posted 40 assists and three aces. According to the Lindenwood Athletics website, there has only been five 40 assists performances in three sets in the Lions’ history.

The Lions will be competing away from home for the next three weeks and their first encounter will be against McKendree in Lebanon on Oct. 10 at 7 p.m.