Football defeats Quincy, extends conference wins

File+photo%3A+Lindenwood+defensive+lineman+Dwight+Dantzler+celebrates+as+fellow+lineman%2C+Uchenna+Egwuonwu+sacks+Midwesterns+quarterback%2C+Zack+Purcell.+

Photo by Kayla Drake

File photo: Lindenwood defensive lineman Dwight Dantzler celebrates as fellow lineman, Uchenna Egwuonwu sacks Midwestern’s quarterback, Zack Purcell.

Caleb Riordan, Reporter

The Lions won 33-27 against Quincy University behind three touchdowns from sophomore Payton Rose on Saturday in Illinois. 

The Lions struck fast. On the first drive of the game, sophomore Cade Brister found Rose for a 51-yard touchdown pass to take a 7-0 lead. The Hawks tied the game later in the quarter. 

The Lions wouldn’t get on the board again until the second quarter. This time, Brister found junior running back Nash Sutherlin with a 7-yard touchdown pass to cap off an eight-play drive, and extend the lead to 13-7. With just under three minutes to go in the first half, Brister found Rose for the second time for a 54-yard touchdown. Quincy was able to get on the board again before the half ended, cutting the Lions lead 20-14. 

Brister and Rose connected once again on a touchdown pass at the beginning of the third half. The Lions lead was 26-14. Quincy only scored one time in the third quarter. The Lions took a 26-20 lead going into the fourth and final quarter. 

The Lions found the endzone one more time by way of a touchdown pass from Brister. This time it was sophomore tight end Ben Anderson, who helped extend the lead to 33-21. Junior defensive back Grady Daniels snatched an interception of the Hawks next drive to hinder any chance of a comeback. The Hawks would score one more time before the game ended, but Lindenwood secured the win 33-27. 

Brister threw five touchdown passes to go along with 325 passing yards and no interceptions. Rose finished the game with six catches for 177 yards and three touchdowns. Sutherlin had 25 carries for 135 rushing yards as well as eight catches for 71 receiving yards and one touchdown. Junior Drew Seers made his presence felt on the defensive side of the ball, making 19 tackles and 3.5 tackles for a loss. 

Seers got recognized with the GLV defensive player of the week back-to-back for three times total this season. According to Lindenwood Athletics, the St. Louis native has his goals set on making the top four tackles in the record book in a season.

The win makes four in a row for the Lions and 4-0 in the GLVC.

Next, the Lions will come back home for its final two home games of the season. For the first of the two, the number eight ranked and defending conference champions, the University of Indianapolis, will come to town for the Lions last conference match. The game starts at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 2.