Women’s ice hockey ties on Friday, falls Saturday to St. Cloud

Lion+Lokelani+Antonio+%2821%29+moves+the+pluck+into+the+offensive+zone.+

Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun

Lion Lokelani Antonio (21) moves the pluck into the offensive zone.

Merlina San Nicolás Leyva, Sports Editor

The Lindenwood women’s ice hockey team hosted St. Cloud State University for two weekend matches at the Centene Community Ice Center, tying 2-2 on Friday and losing 1-5 on Saturday.

Lindenwood scored the first goal on Friday. Kayla Martinez threw the puck close to the net where Lillian Marchant set it up for Gigi Pora, marking her second goal of the season. St. Cloud responded with a goal of their own just one minute later, tying the game 1-1.

The tables turned in the second period when the Huskies scored a goal to take the lead, only 3 minutes and 44 seconds back into the game. Two minutes later, junior Megan Wagner tied the match 2-2 with one more period yet to go. The third period saw no goals, and both teams went into overtime but neither were successful to score and untie the game.

Sophomore goalie Annika Asplundh had 34 saves for a total of 64 minutes of play.

On Saturday afternoon, the Huskies scored three goals in just eight minutes during the first period, putting some pressure on the Lions, who trailed 3-0.

Going into the second period of the game, the Huskies scored yet again to increase their lead 4-0. The Lions needed to get something going quick. Wagner was able to get a goal for Lindenwood, making it just a three-point deficit for the Lions.

But once the third period started, the Lions were never able to get close to the net. St. Cloud scored one more goal to increase the lead 5-1,  sealing the win.

The Lions’ record is 2-9-3 overall, and 0-4-0 in conference play.

This concludes the first of two weekend series between the two teams, and the Lions will be travelling to St. Cloud, Minnesota, on Nov. 29 and 30 to face the Huskies again.