5 reasons to leave your dorm this week: Thanksgiving break edition

Photo by Kat Owens

Here are five things to do before finals week.

Lynsey Aldam, Reporter

As the last few days of the semester dwindle down, student’s stress typically skyrockets. Now is the time when nights consist of cramming for tests, writing essays and preparing for presentations.

If you’re staying on campus for Thanksgiving break, set the books aside and take time to relax. Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, there are plenty of stress-free activities on and off campus to keep you busy over the holiday break!

1.       Immerse yourself in the Fall Chamber Series

Monday, Nov. 25 | 7:30 p.m. | The J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts, Emerson Black Box Theater

Join Lindenwood’s Woodwind and String ensemble for their Fall Chamber Concert Series. The ensemble typically performs compositions from the canon of traditional western music. Additionally, the ensemble will perform 20th and 21st century chamber music, along with original arrangements of contemporary music. Even better, the concert is free.

via GIPHY

2.      Give thanks for free food!

Tuesday, Nov. 26 | 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. | Robert F. Hyland Arena VIP Room

Student Involvement is hosting a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for international students. The dinner will give students a true taste of American tradition. The best part, it’s free! So make sure you wear your stretchy pants and swing by the Hyland Arena VIP Room this Tuesday. Students do not need to sign up for the event.

via GIPHY

3.       Skate into STL for Winterfest

Thursday, Nov. 28 – Saturday, Nov. 30 | 8:00 a.m | Kiener Plaza

The Gateway Arch Park Foundation will present an ice skating experience in the shadows of the iconic STL Arch and it’s newly renovated lights. Grab your skates and enjoy this outdoor rink in the heart of Kiener Plaza. Admission is free, however you must pay to rent skates ($12 adults | $7 for children ages 3 – 15).

Click here for more information.

via GIPHY

4.     Float on with the classic Ameren Thanksgiving Day Parade

Thursday, Nov. 28 | 8:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. | Downtown St. Louis

Celebrate Thanksgiving with the 35th annual Ameren Thanksgiving Day parade downtown. The parade will start from 20th and Market Street and proceed east towards Broadway in St. Louis.

Over 130 groups are participating, including musical floats, giant helium balloon figures, animals, restored antique cars, firetrucks, and marching bands from around the St. Louis region. As always, Santa Claus will be present to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas at the end of the parade.

Can’t make it to the parade? No worries, it will be broadcasted live on KMOV-TV Channel 4.

via GIPHY

5.    Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas in St. Charles!

Friday, Nov. 29 – Sunday, Dec. 1 | 11:00 a.m. | St. Charles Christmas Traditions

Is Thanksgiving not your thing? St. Charles Christmas Traditions has got you covered. Christmas past and present become one and storybook characters come to life before your very eyes. Live actors of Christmas legends like Santa Claus, Jack Frost and elves interact with people shopping on Main Street. The typical hustle and bustle of the holiday season melts away allowing you to enjoy the yuletide sights, sounds, and magic of Christmas. Click here for a full list of free festival events.

Christmas Traditions is an annual month-long festival, celebrating 45 years in 2019. Stop on by and jump into the holiday spirit!

via GIPHY