Men’s Basketball to host toy drive

Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun

Senior from Australia Sukhman Bhinder shoots a free throw during a match against No. 3 Bellarmine University at Hyland Arena.

Taylor McDaniel, Reporter

Lindenwood athletics has banded together to host a toy drive for a local charity, Youth in Need, and it all started with the men’s basketball coaching staff.

Toys and money can be donated instead of admission for the men’s basketball game at 7 p.m. on Dec. 12, against Hannibal-LaGrange in Hyland Arena.  

Assistant basketball coach Tommy Abdenour approached Assistant Athlete Director Scott Stark and Athletics Marketing Manager Mike Barone with the idea. 

From there, the idea of utilizing other sports teams and making it a department effort grew into fruition.  

The athletics department chose Youth in Need because they are a local organization and are doing some incredible work in our community and beyond,Stark said.  

Youth in Need was founded by a group of volunteers in 1974. The organization offers more than 50 direct services and support programs to children, teens, and families.  

They provide foster care case management, homeless outreach, counseling and support groups for over 9,000 children, teens, and families at over 100 sites spanning eastern Missouri.  

Money donations were also collected at the womens ice hockey game on Dec. 6 in efforts to raise money for a shopping trip to purchase toys.  

Barone has created an Amazon wish list to make donating easy for students and others who want to take part. All toys on this wishlist are ones that have been specifically requested by St. Charles Youth in Need.  

Athletics is hoping that this becomes an annual charity event. 

The holidays certainly bring tons of opportunities for our student-athletes to give back to the local community,Stark said.