The Question Corner: Men’s lacrosse’s Peter Covington on how he first got into the sport, advice to freshmen

Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun

Sophomore Peter Covington holds possession for Lindenwood during their home opener on Feb. 8 against Florida Tech.

Billy Woods, Reporter

Peter Covington, a sophomore transfer from Christopher Newport University, a Division III school in Virginia Beach, was awarded the GLVC Offensive Player of the Week for the men’s lacrosse team. 

On Feb. 15, Covington scored a career-high six goals and assisted on two others to lead the Lions to their second win of the season in a 23-6 blowout at Mars Hill University. The Lions are now 3-0 and ranked 15th nationally. The Lions travel to Lewis University on Feb. 26 before their next home game on Mar. 3 against Lynn University. 

The finance major and St. Louis native spoke to Lindenlink about the rest of the season and his expectations moving forward. 

Q: With lacrosse not being a marquee sport in America, how did you start playing and continue to love the game? 

Peter- “Lacrosse is pretty big on the east coast, and that’s where my dad is from. He introduced me to the game in fourth grade and I’ve been playing ever since.” 

Q: Do you have any team rituals? 

Peter- “Before our first game, the freshmen have to wear their helmets around all day. I didn’t have to do it as a transfer, even though it’s my first year.” 

Q: As an underclassman, what are your expectations for this season? 

Peter- “We’re a pretty young team, but I think we’re playing well and moving the ball well. Expectations are to be able to continue to play well and improve and hopefully make the NCAA tournament.”  

Q: Any tips to give incoming freshmen or transfer students? 

Peter- “Meet new people and just embrace the process.” 

Q: Spellmann or Evans? 

Peter- “Spellmann. I usually go to Qdoba a lot.”