5 reasons to leave your dorm this week

Photo by Kat Owens

Here are five things to do before finals week.

Lynsey Aldam, Reporter

Happy Mardi Gras, Lions! Once again, it’s a great weekend to be in St. Louis. Besides New Orleans, St. Louis is known to have one of the biggest Mardi Gras festivals in the United States! You won’t be disappointed at all the fun that’s planned for this Saturday. The party starts in the morning with the parade and continues all day long! But if Mardi Gras isn’t your thing, we’ve got you covered. Feeling artsy? There is a vision board event, as well as the annual winter dance concert. Plenty of sporting events are happening on campus, too! Read below for more details!

1. Don’t be a ‘scrum’-bag, root for the women’s rugby team!

This weekend, the women’s rugby team is debuting for their first and only home game of the semester. The lady lions dominated last semester with a phenomenal 5-0, win to loss record. Be sure to pop over to Hunter Stadium and cheer on the women’s rugby team! Meanwhile, Hyland Arena will be jumping all week with basketball and gymnastics. And the Lou Brock Sports Center will stay busy with baseball games.

• Baseball vs. Northwood University | Friday, Feb. 21 | 1:00 p.m. | Lou Brock Sports Complex

• Women’s Hockey vs. Penn State University | Friday, Feb. 21 | 7:10 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Men’s DII Hockey vs. Maryville University | Friday, Feb. 21 | 9:30 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Women’s Basketball vs. William Jewell College (Mo.) | Saturday, Feb. 22 | 1:00 p.m. | Hyland Arena

• Baseball vs. Northwood University | Saturday, Feb. 22 | 1:00 p.m. | Lou Brock Sports Complex

• Women’s Hockey vs. Penn State University | Saturday, Feb. 22 | 1:00 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Women’s Rugby vs. Davenport University | Sunday, Feb. 8 | 1:00 p.m. | Hunter Stadium

• Men’s Basketball vs. Central Washington University | Saturday, Feb. 22 | 3:00 p.m. | Hyland Arena

• Men’s DI Hockey vs. Iowa State University | Saturday, Feb. 22 | 7:15 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Baseball vs. Northwood University | Sunday, Feb. 23 | 1:00 p.m. | Lou Brock Sports Complex

• Women’s Gymnastics vs. University of Wisconsin-Stout | Sunday, Feb. 23 | 1:00 p.m. | Hyland Arena

• Men’s DI Hockey vs. Iowa State University | Sunday, Feb. 23 | 1:30 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Women’s Basketball vs. University of Illinois Springfield | Thursday, Feb. 27 | 5:30 p.m. | Hyland Arena

• Men’s Basketball vs. University of Illinois Springfield | Thursday, Feb. 27 | 7:30 p.m. | Hyland Arena

GIF from Giphy.com

2.      Catch your Mardi Gras beads!

Tuesday, Feb. 18 | 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. | Soulard, St. Louis

Did you know St. Louis hosts one of the largest Mardi Gras celebrations in the country? The festivities kick off bright and early in the Soulard district. The annual Grand Parade begins at 11 a.m., commencing at Busch Stadium and ending at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery. This year’s parade theme is The Blues – music, hockey, skies, seas and more! The fun won’t stop there. The party will continue all day throughout the Soulard neighborhood. So throw on some green, purple, and gold and celebrate Mardi Gras in St. Louis!

For more information regarding the parade and parking, click here.

GIF from Giphy.com

3.       Yoga at Schnucks? This isn’t a stretch!

Sunday, Feb. 23 | 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. | Schnucks Lindenwood

Mardi Gras got you bent out of shape? Have no fear! We’ve got the best way to recuperate and heal your body. Join Yoga Buzz and start off your Sunday morning at Schnucks Lindenwood. Yoga Buzz will be hosting a 60-minute, all-levels yoga class inside the cafe — beginners are welcome! After class, there will be Schnucks sparkling water and food samples to enjoy from our friends at Schnucks.

Please bring your yoga mat, a limited number of mats will be available for those without.

To pre-register, click here.

GIF from Giphy.com

4.      Unveil your vibes and visions

Wednesday, Feb. 26 | 6:00 p.m. –  8:00 p.m. | Pfremmer Hall Lounge

Are you still searching for inspiration for the new year? Is Pinterest just not cutting it? Well then, you’re in luck! There is a unique event being held on campus which will allow you to tap into your inner creativity and discover your dreams for 2020. ‘Vibes and Visions’ will help you design your goals on a custom vision board while vibing to music!

https://media.giphy.com/media/cdmIArTKz9aqA/giphy.gif

5.     Dive into the Winter Dance Concert

Thursday, Feb. 27 | 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. | The Emerson Black Box Theater

Join Lindenwood’s Dance Program for an intimate and unique evening of innovative dance. The winter concert series encourages the students to create, evolve, and take risks. Each performance is developed and adapted all from the mind of the individual artist: students and faculty choreographers.

All Lindenwood students, faculty, and staff can receive two free tickets at the Scheidegger Center box office with a university ID. Additional tickets are available for $10 through LUBoxOffice.com or by calling 636-949-4433.

GIF from Giphy.com