LU urges international students to return home due to COVID-19

Matt Hampton, Editor-in-Chief

An email from Lindenwood University’s Office of Admissions and Services for International Students recommended that international students return to their home countries before travel restrictions stop them from leaving the United States.

“Due to recent and anticipated future border closures taking place across various countries, if you have not already gone home, I am strongly urging you to start looking for flights to your respective country as soon as possible,” Amanda Schaller, director of OASIS, said in the email Monday.  “Please know that Lindenwood will accommodate you to finish the semester fully online.”

The email stressed that internationals’ student visa statuses will not be put in jeopardy.  It said international students can contact OASIS staff by Skype, Zoom, or Whatsapp if they have any questions, and that they need to contact the office about their visas if they are traveling outside of the United States.

President Donald Trump initiated a 30-day travel ban on more than two dozen European countries because of the coronavirus, and is considering restricting travel inside the United States to stop the spread of the pandemic.

Canada is preventing non-citizens from entering because of the coronavirus. Mexico’s health minister said the country is also considering closing its border with the United States to keep the disease out.

This is a developing story and will be updated with more information.