Lindenwood moves summer classes online

Lindenwood+has+extended+its+decision+to+not+hold+on-campus+classes+through+the+summer+semester+because+of+the+coronavirus.++

Lindenwood has extended its decision to not hold on-campus classes through the summer semester because of the coronavirus.

Matt Hampton, Editor-in-Chief

Lindenwood University will not hold summer classes on campus because of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an email sent out Tuesday.  

Most classes will move online, said Molly Hudgins, associate provost for curriculum and experiential learning.  

However, some classes, such as lab courses, will have to be canceled because they cannot be taught virtually.  

According to the email from provost Marilyn Abbott, “Courses that were scheduled on-ground may either be combined with previously scheduled online sections of the same course, or they may remain on the schedule but shift to a virtual learning environment. Adjustments to the summer schedule will be complete and available in the student portal by April 17. Students enrolled in an on-ground class that shifts to the virtual format will not have to make a schedule change.”

Abbott said the university decided not to hold in-person classes based on the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation’s projections for the coronavirus pandemic, which show Missouri will still have new cases until July 1.  The model predicts Missouri will reach the peak of the outbreak on April 22, when it is projected to cause 17 deaths per day.  

Students will still be able to get credit for off-campus internships.  However, all summer study abroad programs are canceled.  

“Many study abroad program partners have also eliminated summer offerings,” the email said. “We recognize that study abroad is an important and exciting opportunity for students. We strongly encourage students who were scheduled to travel this summer to contact the Study Abroad Office within the Center for Experiential Learning to explore alternative travel options once physical distancing restrictions are eased and students can travel with less risk ([email protected]).”

The email said students with a housing allowance from Veterans Affairs must only enroll in classes that were originally on-ground and should contact Veterans Affairs specialist Nia Spencer for questions.  

Another email from the provost’s office Thursday said the withdraw deadline for summer trimester will remain June 26.  

Hudgins said every effort is being made to make sure students can still graduate.  

Advisors and administrators are reaching out to summer students about schedule adjustments.  

“We had it in the back of our mind that this may happen, so advisors and students were asked to make sure that when they registered for summer classes and registered for their fall classes, that they made their schedule accordingly, in case that this did happen,” Hudgins said.  

In March, Lindenwood moved all spring semester courses online and canceled the spring graduation ceremony.  Plans are underway for a virtual way to recognize spring 2020 graduates, who are also invited to attend December commencement.

Updated April 9, 2020 at 5:40 p.m. with information about the withdraw deadline.