As businesses re-open, campus remains closed during COVID-19

Matthews Hall dormitory. Pictured Aug. 25, 2020.

Matt Hampton, Editor-in-Chief

Updated May 5 with comments about decisions about fall classes.  

Businesses have started to re-open with the expiration of Missouri’s stay-at-home order Monday, but Lindenwood’s campus remains closed until further notice.  

After Lindenwood moved classes online and students left campus because of COVID-19, access to campus was prohibited except for essential employees.  

Public Safety closed all entrances to campus except at the stoplight by AutoZone on First Capitol Drive, where “Public Safety personnel will be available to check IDs to verify individuals entering are among the essential group,” according to an email last month from Ryan Anderson, director of Public Safety and Security.  

Diane Moore, vice president of Operations, said Monday that Lindenwood is still working on plans for employees to return to campus and for students to collect items left on campus.  

“Students who still have personal property on either campus will receive directions, once finalized, regarding a schedule and necessary steps to keep students safe as they collect their belongings,” she said in an email.  

For the fall semester, a decision is also yet to be made about whether classes will be held on campus.

Molly Hudgins, associate provost for curriculum and experiential learning, said in an email that Lindenwood “is actively planning for the return of students to campus in the Fall of 2020 while following regulations outlined by local, state and federal regulations.”

“At the same time, because the predictions for the pandemic are varied, Lindenwood also realizes the importance of being prepared for all possible scenarios,” she said. “As a result, the University is planning for scenarios if Lindenwood is forced to start the fall terms virtually or move to a full virtual format during the term at some point during the term.”

Missouri’s stay-at-home order took effect April 6, but indoor dining has been prohibited in St. Charles since March.  Since then, local bars and restaurants have felt the pinch of surviving on takeout and delivery, with some having to shut down entirely.  

St. Charles County still asks businesses to follow social distancing guidelines to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.  Hair and nail salons can only have one appointment at a time, and customers are encouraged to wear face coverings and stay six feet apart in all businesses. 

County government facilities remain mostly closed to the public.  

According to St. Charles County Public Health, the county has a total of 612 confirmed cases, but new cases have been declining.  

On the other hand, St. Louis City and County have reported over twice as many cases, and have not reached the peak of the pandemic.  Because of this, they are continuing to enforce coronavirus lockdown orders.