360 classrooms to improve virtual learning experience during COVID-19

Campus++entrances+have+been+closed+due+to+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+

Photo by Merlina San Nicolás Leyva

Campus entrances have been closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Merlina San Nicolás Leyva, News Editor

Lindenwood University is expecting students to come back for the Fall 2020 semester, but will adapt classrooms to allow students to virtually attend classes during COVID-19.

Along with new hybrid courses being offered for the fall term, the integrated 360 video conferencing will allow students to virtually attend classes, participate, engage with their peers, and continue with their learning experience in the case of being unable to attend classes due to sickness.

The system will be installed in all 207 classrooms across campus including off-site locations this month.

“Lindenwood is as committed to high-quality educational experiences as we are the safety of our students, staff, and faculty,” Mark Arant, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs, said. “The technologies and processes that we are implementing for the fall will bear evidence to that commitment.”

The 360 system will be located at the podium in the front of each classroom, allowing students to view their professors, their classmates, and a 360 live view of what is happening during class. If professors choose to, classes will also be recorded so students can easily access them through Canvas for up to 14 days.

“The investment in 360 video conferencing in each classroom represents a comprehensive move to support active engagement in the learning experience. As part of the roll-out, faculty will be provided training resources to ensure a smooth transition,” T.J. Rains, vice president for information technology and chief information officer, said.

According to Senior Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Engagement Terry Whittum, the number of current students returning for fall 2020 is 2% ahead of last year, but new student enrollment is down 10%.