Student files lawsuit against Lindenwood after classes moved online for COVID-19

The+Lindenwood+sign+outside+the+J.+Scheidegger+Center.+++Photo+by+Taylor+McDaniel.++

Photo by Taylor McDaniel

The Lindenwood sign outside the J. Scheidegger Center.
Photo by Taylor McDaniel.

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

A Lindenwood student is suing the university for a partial refund on spring semester tuition due to being charged the same amount for online classes as in-person classes after the university shut down for COVID-19.

Dylan Martin has filed a class action lawsuit, where one of the parties is a group of people who are represented collectively by a member of that group. The lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court Eastern District of Missouri on Monday. 

Martin is seeking a pro-rated refund, where the university would refund all or partial tuition after classes made the online switch. 

The lawsuit states that during normal operations, Lindenwood charges less for online-only classes compared to in-person classes.

“Online tuition for an undergraduate bachelor’s degree from Lindenwood University typically cost [sic] $450 per credit hour, which is up to $300 less than the tuition full-time, in-person students paid per credit hour,” the suit reads.

The lawsuit also claims that the learning options being offered to students are “subpar in every aspect,” due to the lack of facilities, materials, and access to faculty.

“The remote learning options are in no way the equivalent of the in- person education that Plaintiff and the putative class members contracted and paid for,” the suit reads. “As such, Defendant’s educational services have diminished in value significantly compared to the in- person education services that Defendant was providing prior to canceling in-person classes.”

Martin is not the only student suing a university for COVID-19 tuition prices, as other students across the nation have filed similar class-action lawsuits.

Requests for comment from attorneys for both parties were left through phone calls.