How Lindenwood football reacted to season being pushed back to spring

Football

Sophomore quarterback Cade Brister throws a pass during a practice at Harlen C. Hunter Stadium on Aug. 4.
Photo by Caleb Riordan.

Will Crawford, Reporter

Lindenwood football being moved to the spring is something that players would never have expected just one year ago.

“It’s different, a lot of guys were still wanting to play this fall,” quarterback Cade Brister said.

The Great Lakes Valley Conference announced earlier this year that the season would be moved to the spring semester due to COVID-19.

Even with the season being pushed back, Brister isn’t going to let the virus bring down his spirit, but rather looks at it as a positive.

“I don’t want to feel sorry for myself because everyone is dealing with the same stuff,” Brister said. “I know our coaches are doing a really good job of just making sure we’re taking advantage of extra time with weights. But, I think that keeps your mind off it, and just understanding that its an extra semester of school to get bigger, faster, and stronger.”

During the shutdown, Brister would work-out with his brother but had no in-person contact with his team.

As well as staying positive through the break, players like wide receiver Glen Gibbons say there are high expectations in the Lions locker room.

“Expectation is at minimum a conference championship, but we’re shooting for a national championship,” Gibbons said.

Lindenwood got close to that mark last season, losing in the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Many teams are playing with fans right now, but for Lindenwood, no announcement has been made as of yet.

Lindenwood is expected to play five GLVC opponents starting March, 2021.