Bentein leads the way as men’s golf impresses at first tournament

Photo by Don Adams

Sophomore Liam Bentein prepares for a putt in a tournament with Lindenwood.

Brandon Clark, Reporter

The men’s golf team traveled to Indianapolis to kick off their season last week at the Brickyard Invitational, and the team left their impression felt.

Overall, the squad finished seventh out of the 12 teams that were invited to the invitational. The Lions had three of their golfers finish in the top 40:  Joe MacNeil was tied for 40th, Adam Bain tied for 28th, and Liam Bentein finished in the top five right at the number five spot. The sophomore had himself a day as he tacked up a total score of 215, shooting 78, 70, and 67 in his respective games. Despite the strong outing, Bentin has posted even lower scores in the past.

“Sixty-seven is the lowest tournament score I have played,” Bentein said. “But I have played a sixty-five in the qualifier coming up to that tournament so I was playing really good before the tournament.”

Bentein’s round three score of 67 was tied for the lowest score in the invitational for any round played. This is the first time that Bentein has played any competitive golf in over 60 days.

“As my first tournament of the season, I am very happy with this result because it has been two months since I’ve played in any competition,” Bentein said.

Hailing from Belgium, Liam started golfing when he was just 10 years-old, and started playing in tournaments at the age of 14. He plans on majoring in exercise science, but that’s not the golfer’s ultimate goal.

“My goal is that I would like to become a pro golfer in about three to four years,” Bentein said. “But it all depends on how good I play, and where I’m at as an amateur.”

Bentein and company will catch a break for their next tournament, as they will travel to nearby Eureka for the Midwest Regional at Fox Run on Monday, October 12th, which will be hosted by UMSL.