Men’s golf season in review after finishing strong at Bearcat Dual Gender tournament

Photo by Don Adams Jr.

Junior Caleb Picker attempts to chip his ball out of the bunker during a tournament in the fall of 2020.

Billy Woods, Reporter

In a 2020 fall season shortened by COVID restrictions, Lindenwood’s men’s golf team placed seventh, 13th and third in their three tournaments. 

“I felt prepared,” John Gardner said. “Golf was allowed even during the main quarantine because it is an easy social distancing sport, so practicing went on as normal.” 

With golf able to be played even during quarantine, players were able to stay ready for their upcoming season, even if the season was cut short by two tournaments. 

In the three-round Brickyard Invitational at the University of Indianapolis on Sept. 28 and 29, the Lions placed seventh out of 12 teams with a total score of 905. Freshman Liam Bentein placed fifth in the tournament with a total score of 215, which included a score of 67 in the third round, tying the tournament low score for a single round.  

At the Midwest Regional tournament on Oct. 12 and 13 at Fox Run in Eureka, Missouri, the Lions placed 13th out of 17 teams with a total score of 963, as the highest placed golfer was Adam Bain, who placed 23rd out of the 90 competing golfers with a score of 234.  

After the rough outing in the Midwest Regional tournament, the men’s team rebounded at the Bearcat Dual Gender tournament on Oct. 19 and 20 with a third place finish out of eight total teams. The tournament also included the women’s golf team, who placed first. Joe MacNeil placed seventh with a score of 215, Bentein tied for ninth with a score of 220 and Gardner tied for 18th with a score of 223. 

In the individual section of the Bearcat Dual Gender tournament, all five men’s golfers finished top-10, with Caleb Picker finishing first, Jordan Breen finishing second, and Robert Dean fourth.  

In all three tournaments, the Lions were forced to travel, which added more complications with COVID restrictions. 

“Every aspect was affected by COVID,” Gardner said, “the rides to courses, practice groupings, and how we could just interact with others.” 

Gardner, the freshman biochemistry major, said he looks forward to next season, even if the conditions are the same. 

“Luckily, we are able to play and continue as normal,” Gardner said.