Lindenwood to host in-person commencement but without guests 

Photo by Pexels

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

Lindenwood will host in-person commencement ceremonies this May for graduating students, but will not allow outside guests. 

Faculty and staff were informed on Wednesday afternoon that there will be in-person commencement ceremonies May 7-8 at the Family Arena in St. Charles, but the ceremony will be only for graduating students. 

“Due to current health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 Pandemic, no families or guests of graduates will be allowed to attend the ceremony,” Mark Arant, provost and vice president of academic affairs, said in the email.

There will be a live stream for friends or family members who would like to watch the ceremonies.

The email said that precautions related to the pandemic are fluid and can potentially change. 

“Lindenwood will continue to evaluate the status of the Pandemic locally, regionally, and nationally,” the email read. “We will notify students of any changes related to commencement ceremonies, including guest attendance, as they arise.”

There will be three different commencement ceremonies to honor graduates. 

On May 7 at 7 p.m. there will be a ceremony for doctorate, specialist, and master’s candidates for all schools.  

On May 8 at 10 a.m. there will be a ceremony for the following four schools: Education, Health Sciences, Humanities and Sciences.

There will also be a ceremony for students graduating with a degree from the School of Arts, Media and Communications and the Plaster School of Business & Entrepreneurship at 3 p.m. on May 8. 

Students were told to be on the lookout for more information on ceremony instructions and how to order a cap and gown. 

This will be the first commencement ceremony since the fall 2019 semester that graduating students will be able to attend in-person.