BSU to host events for Black History Month

BSU will be hosting events to celebrate Black History Month.

Photo by Pexels

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

The month of February marks the beginning of Black History Month, and Lindenwood’s Black Student Union will be hosting events to celebrate the month. 

Robby Hamilton, president of BSU, said that black history is much more than one month. Hamilton said that it is not something that started in North America, but has a very rich history prior to being taken to North America. 

“American History is Black History and historically speaking, Black Africans have been here in North America just as long as the Europeans have,” Hamilton said in an email. 

Hamilton said that many BSU members are taking this time to learn more about black history and pay homage to past and current leaders. 

“We celebrate this through our events by bringing all people together to build comradery and spread Black historical knowledge to everyone,” Hamilton said. 

Hamilton said that the BSU events this month will involve virtual speakers, movie nights, and safe space events. Some new events this year will be virtual and others will be in-person. 

“We wanted to do something for those who’d rather attend events virtually and those who want to attend an event physically,” Hamilton said. “Both of our movie nights on the 2/4 and 2/18 are being physically held on campus in the Dunseth Auditorium (Harmon Hall).” 

“The other events will be hosted virtually.”

Hamilton said the events are created by asking BSU members what they would like, as well as receiving ideas from the BSU executive board. 

Upcoming BSU events this month include: 

2/4- Movie Night Partnered with LSG, Showing: Ma Raineys Black Bottom (Located in Dunseth Auditorium/ Harmon Hall @6:00 P.M)​

2/9- Glenda White will speak on successful entrepreneurship and Black Owned Business (Virtual, @4:30 P.M)​

2/11- Your Safe Space (Virtual, 4:30 P.M)​

2/16- BSU Meeting (Virtual, 4:30 P.M)​

2/18- Movie Night Partnered with LSG, Showing: Lawless (Located in Dunseth Auditorium/ Harmon Hall @6:00 P.M)​

2/23- Brother KingCam will speak on Brotherhood & Sisterhood (Virtually, @4:30 P.M)​

All event links are located on the BSU Involve U page.