Lindenwood to support local animal shelter

Zeke, a mixed breed available for adoption. Photo provided by Jessi Huston from the Five Acres canine staff.

Amanda May, Reporter

LindenGiving’s second initiative will support the Five Acres Animal Shelter.  

Announced in an email on Feb. 10, the initiative aims to administer support for the shelter throughout the month. Opportunities to support the cause include donating money to pay for medical bills through the LindenGiving website, and signing up to volunteer at the shelter though the Five Acres Animal Shelter website.  

Julee Mitsler, director of communications for Lindenwood, has volunteered for the shelter.

“My personal experience has been incredible and I love volunteering at Five Acres – it helped me find a community of like-minded individuals when I first moved to St. Charles,” Mitsler said in an email.  

There is also an opportunity to donate items- including 7-foot slip leads/leashes for dogs, collars of all sizes, and puzzle feeders for cats, among other items listed in the email. Collection boxes where donated items can be dropped off are located across Lindenwood’s St. Charles campus (in the LARC, Spellmann Center, and Evans Commons).  

The LindenGiving was established in 2020. Lindenwood’s first lady Beverly Porter chairs the initiative “partners with a local non-profit organization and engages the campus community in support of the endeavor”, according to the LindenGiving website. The first initiative took place in Nov. 2020 and supported the Oasis Food Pantry and Powell Terrace Food Pantry. 

“This is the second of many LindenGiving initiatives and the University is very excited about the future of LindenGiving,” Mitsler said in an email. “Beverly Porter serving as chair will enable our campus community to find meaningful ways to give back and impact the St. Charles community directly.

“She is incredibly passionate about service and is the perfect person to lead this community outreach endeavor.”