Lindenwood to allow guests at spring commencement ceremonies

Regalia and mask worn by a mannequin for an instructional video.
Photo by Kevin Manley.

Amanda May, Reporter

Lindenwood is planning to allow four guests per graduate at the upcoming commencement ceremonies in May, according to an email sent by the provost on Tuesday morning.

Julee Mitsler, director of communications for Lindenwood, said in an email that the university has been closely monitoring COVID-19 cases in St. Charles County, and speaking to other universities about their protocols.

“Lindenwood’s commencement planning committee has been considering a variety of options to allow guests and determine how it would be feasible to allow guests in a safe manner,” Mitsler said. “We have talked with other universities, reviewed and revised policies, reviewed the ceremonies, and worked through many logistics.”  

Tickets will be emailed to graduating students’ Lindenwood emails one to two weeks prior to the ceremony.  

According to the Graduation Frequently Asked Questions, guests will be required to wear masks, maintain physical distance, and be seated in physically distanced pods. Additional safety protocols will be shared closer to the commencement ceremonies.

An estimated 1,200 graduates will be a part of the commencement ceremonies, though the amount is subject to change.  

Students are also required to order a cap and gown from Herff Jones by March 21, according to the email sent by the provost.  

Lindenwood is excited about this announcement and we are happy to be able to celebrate with our graduates and their families,” Mitsler said. “We continue to monitor the campus and community status, in the event that cases increase.

“It is so important for everyone to be diligent in our protocols, so that we can move forward with this plan.”