Lindenwood announces return of normal campus operations for fall semester

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

Lindenwood has announced the fall 2021 semester will allow the return of pre-coronavirus operations and visitation guidelines.   

President John Porter made the announcement on Tuesday afternoon to Lindenwood students in an email that discussed the new plans. 

Several changes include a return to the traditional academic calendar with a fall break, in-person classes, in-person events and activities, guest attendance at sporting events, and the return of pre-coronavirus residence hall visitation and indoor dining policies.

Porter said in the email the change is contributed to the campus community following protocols and lower St. Charles COVID-19 cases. 

Julee Mitsler, director of communications for Lindenwood, said that although campus will see a return to many things, masks will still be required on campus. 

“At this time, it is very likely that Lindenwood will ask all employees, students, and visitors to wear masks on campus at all times,” Mitsler said in an email. 

While some colleges across the nation are requiring vaccinations for students to return to campus, Mitsler said that at this time, Lindenwood will not have that requirement. 

Mitsler said Lindenwood will continue to host in-person events on campus next semester, including spectators at sporting events. 

“InvolveU has tons of great activities happening through the end of the semester for students to join,” Mitsler said. “That said, we are hopeful that we will be able to expand the offerings for the fall and will continue to make decisions based on community and campus metrics.”

In-person dining will return, but Mitsler said that the administration anticipates there will still be safety measures in the dining halls, such as social distancing and a maximum occupancy. 

Mitsler also said that there will still be an isolation area on campus for residential students who may test positive and need to isolate on campus. 

Mitsler said while there’s still five months until the beginning of the fall semester, things can change quickly and the staff is optimistic things can improve. 

“Lindenwood continues to do our part to promote student and employee safety and well-being which means everyone needs to keep doing their part,” Mitsler said. “Our Pandemic Preparedness Task Force (PPT) continues to meet weekly to review requests and make decisions in the best interests of the campus community. 

“We are all eager to see what fall brings, and we are confident that Lindenwood will be well-prepared for a great semester!”