Men’s golf wrapped up season in GLVC Championships

Photo by Alexis Montgomery

GLVC school banners are lined up at the 2021 GLVC Championships in Eureka, Mo.

Dominic Hoscher, Sports Editor

Lindenwood men’s golf finished in sixth place out of 13 teams in the GLVC Championships earlier on in the week.

The competition took place on Sunday and Monday in Eureka, Mo. with the Lions posting a final overall score of 922 (+58). Senior Robert Dean led the way individually for Lindenwood, ending his week tied for 16th with a 228.

In the first round, Lindenwood tallied a 314 with freshman Jordan Breen shooting a team-best 76, followed by Dean and freshman Liam Bentein’s 79’s. As a team, they hit 11 birdies in the opening round. 

Later on in the day, the Lions improved by 10 strokes, putting up a 304 in the second round in Eureka. Freshman John Gardner took the team’s largest leap between rounds, going from a 80 in the first to a 73 in the second. 

On Monday, Lindenwood once again scored a 304 in the third and final round. Four of their five golfers shot 77 or better, with Breen and sophomore Adam Bain both posting 77’s. Dean and Bentein were two strokes better at 75, with two birdies each.

Lindenwood’s sixth place finish put them right below McKendree (917) and one place above Drury (926) in seventh. Indianapolis was first with a 880 (+16).

Bentien was just one stroke behind Dean, ranking tied for 19th in the GLVC with a 229. Gardner’s 235 was tied for 33rd, followed by Breen who was tied for 41st (238), and finally Bain who ended up tied for 52nd (246).

The GLVC Championships finished off a season that got started for Lindenwood back in late-Sept. at the Brickyard Invitational in Indiana. The Lions had competed seven times since then, before ending their campaign in Eureka.