Breakdown of football roster heading into 2021 season

Nash+Sutherlin+%283%29+ran+53+yards+for+a+touchdown+on+a+pass+from+Brister%2C+extending+the+Lions+lead+on+Nov.+2%2C+2019%2C+against+the+University+of+Indianapolis+Greyhounds.+

Photo by Caleb Riordan

Nash Sutherlin (3) ran 53 yards for a touchdown on a pass from Brister, extending the Lions lead on Nov. 2, 2019, against the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

With a mix of experience and key new additions to the roster, No. 25 Lindenwood football is entering the 2021 season with confidence and the talent to have another successful season.

Although they weren’t able to play last year due to COVID-19, head coach Jed Stugart made sure that the 2019 GLVC Conference Champions would be ready for this fall.

“We have 18 seniors that were on our 2019 conference championship team that are coming back,” Stugart said. “I feel like we’re a pretty experienced team. We had a lot of success in ’19 and bringing back a lot of experience kind of gives us some good optimism about where we’re at.” 

The Lions are returning seven all-GLVC conference players (Cade Brister, Grady Daniels, Blake Rogenhofer, Payton Rose, Drew Seers, Nash Sutherlin, Tayvian Weary), and one honorable mention All GLVC players (Spencer Redd).

“Cade, our quarterback, was the 2019 conference Offensive Player of the Year and Drew, our linebacker, was the 2019 Defensive Player of the Year. He was even All American,” Stugart said.

Brister also earned honorable mention All-American. 

Stugart mentioned a couple other returning seniors that will contribute this year on offense.

“Our offensive line, you look at Blake Rogenhofer has been a four year starter for us,” Stugart said. “Nash Sutherlin, another senior coming back that’s been a key contributor, Payton Rose at wide receiver, Clint Sigg will be a tight end for us, Glen Gibbons another wide receiver, Spencer Redd another receiver that’s a heck of a special teams player.”

Stugart also mentioned the defensive returners that will play a big part this season.

“On the defensive line, you look at Alex Bolden, Arsante Conners,” Stugart said. “Our tackles, Tayvian Weary, Dwight Dantzler, those are some guys up front that have contributed here.”

Stugart spoke highly about the linebacker core as well, mentioning Seers and senior linebacker Andrew Rodriguez, and senior Western Illinois transfer Tre’ Hendon. Stugart also talked about the returning secondary that will contribute. 

“Jordan Perry is the returning starting corner for us,” Stugart said. “Grady Daniels is a safety that’s been a four year starter for us.”

Following behind the seniors, there is a large group of freshman that Stugart had high praise for.

“We signed a great freshman class, the class of 2021,” Stugart said. “The future is very optimistic.”

Stugart pointed out a couple of newcomers that he expects to step up this season.

“Robert Giaimo is an incoming freshman, a running back from Memphis that’s really shown us a lot this fall camp,” Stugart said. “Many cases, he’ll play right away as a true freshman.” 

Stugart also noted 6-foot-5 freshman left tackle Gareth Warren as a potential starter.

“Big big kid, young kid,” Stugart said. “He’ll probably have a chance to play right away.” 

The Lions have their home opener on Thursday against Angelo State University (San Angelo, Texas) at 7 p.m.