Lindenwood announces new provost

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Bethany Alden-Rivers in her office.

Ben Kaiser, News Editor

Bethany Alden-Rivers is now Lindenwood’s permanent provost after serving as the interim provost for nearly six months.

Dr. Alden-Rivers’ official start as the permanent provost role began this week. She filled in as interim provost after the former provost, Dr. Mark Arant, left last spring.

The decision came after many internal discussions with the school’s deans and faculty council. Alden-Rivers replied in an email that she “worked closely with colleagues across campus to ensure that the Lindenwood experience was delivered to the highest quality.”

The announcement for Dr. Alden-Rivers’ promotion came via an all-employee Zoom call last Wednesday morning. All employees received an invitational email the day before to join the Zoom call hosted by President John Porter.

“Dr. Alden-Rivers is an excellent academic who leads with integrity and grace,” Director of Communications Julee Mitsler commented in an email. “In her previous role as Associate Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and Chief Assessment Officer, she made it clear that she has a deep understanding of the higher ed ecosystem and will help propel Lindenwood forward.”

Alden-Rivers’ plans for the 2021-2022 school year are set on six areas for Academic Affairs that align with the University Strategic Plan, which has been developing over the last few months. “We have some very exciting projects underway in Academic Affairs. We have a clear sense of where we’re going, and a lot to look forward to.”

“There is a lot of collaboration and teamwork,” Alden-Rivers said, “and I’m excited to continue working with the campus community on these projects.”