Freshman Spotlight: Robert “Geronimo” Giaimo

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Freshman Robert Giaimo (20) talks with an offensive lineman during Lindenwood’s home game against the Southwest Baptist Bearcats on Oct. 23.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

Most freshmen don’t get the opportunity to be titled as a “true freshman.” Running back Robert Giaimo is one of those special athletes who gets the opportunity to play their first year of college football.

Giaimo is originally from Bartlett, Tennesee where he attended Bartlett High School. While he was there, Giaimo held the most touchdowns in the Shelby County area in 2020 with 27 total according to Action News 5. 

The 5-foot-8 190 pound true freshman felt that it was a great decision committing to Lindenwood. “Once getting to the campus and meeting the players and staff members, it reminded me all the good times I had back at home in Barlett and I felt a great connection with everyone there,” Giaimo said. “I felt God was telling me that this was the place to continue my journey with an amazing team.”

Usually the time as a freshman, adjusting from high school football to college can be stressful, but Giaimo felt right at home with Lindenwood. 

“The transition from high school to college ball was a huge step for me and my family with a new atmosphere, and a new area to adapt to for sports in general,” Giaimo said.

One other thing that he pointed out was the size difference in college football. “College ball is grown men, fully grown men that have been there probably four or five years even more,” Giaimo said.

As soon as he stepped on the field, the Memphis native wowed the coaches. Coach Stugart spoke highly of Giaimo stating that he really showed a lot in fall camp and that he is a hard worker.

Although Giaimo adjusted to the game speed, he still believes that he has more room to improve.

“I’m still having some mistakes here and there, but as the day goes on, as the week goes on, I feel like I’m getting better and better as a freshman playing,” Giaimo said.

So far this season, the true freshman racked up a total of 291 rushing yards out of 50 carries, and five touchdowns. He broke over 100 yards and scored a touchdown against Findlay University, and got his first start as a freshman and broke another 100-yard game and scored 3 touchdowns against Truman State.

“I didn’t know I hit a hundred, I was worried about helping the team,” Giaimo said. “Me hearing that I broke a hundred was something amazing for a freshman can do.”

Giaimo focuses a lot on helping the team. Along with the coaches, his teammates embrace him with nothing but positivity. They also look to him as one of the leaders on the team.

“It gives me confidence that the coaches, players, and even the audience, it builds me up because they know that they can trust me,” Giaimo said. “If they can trust me with giving me the ball, blocking for the quarterback or blocking for anyone it really is a big help, it makes me feel good inside.”