Football earns first win on Family Day

Photo by Josh Robinson

Senior tight end Clint Sigg stiff arms a defender to pick up a first down.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions blew past Kentucky Wesleyan, 50-34, to retrieve their first win on Family Night. 

Junior quarterback Cade Brister set the tone in the first quarter, running the ball for 19 yards to score the first points of the game. He also connected to senior tight end Clint Sigg for a pass that would set up senior running back Nash Sutherlin to punch it in for another touchdown a minute before the end of the first quarter.

Brister continued to show off his speed with a two yard quarterback keeper to stretch the lead to 28-14. The defense stood firm and caused the Panthers to go three-and-out before the first half ended. 

Two plays into the second half, junior Sammy Muniz intercepted a pass to set the offense up to score. Brister followed with another run into the end zone to extend the league to 35-14. 

Sutherlin also broke lose for a big gain, and Brister again capitalized with a one yard run for a touchdown. 

In the fourth quarter, freshman running back Robert Giaimo made his home debut, moving the ball down the field to earn his first touchdown of his college career. Senior linebacker Drew Seers came up with an interception that set the offense up to score again. Sutherlin ran the ball in for another touchdown.

The Lions’ defense put the nail in the coffin with an interception made by junior transfer Darion Bolden. 

Brister had a field day, leading the team in rushing yards with 100 and scoring five touchdowns. He also threw 16 for 20 for 225 yards. Sutherlin, behind Brister, rushed for 95 yards and scored two touchdowns. 

Sigg had 81 yards receiving and senior Glen Gibbons Jr. had 53 yards. Seers led the defense, accumulating a total of 14 tackles and an interception. Behind him was senior linebacker Andrew Rodriguez with nine total tackles.

The Lions will hit the road again next weekend to take on  the University of Findlay.