Football upsets No. 18 Truman State for first conference win

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions started off on a good note in the GLVC on Saturday, knocking down undefeated No. 18 Truman State 31-21. 

Lindenwood struggled in the first quarter to stop the Bulldogs’ run game, led by running back Cody Schrader. As the quarter concluded, Schrader ran for a 7-yard touchdown to give Truman State a 14-0 lead.

The Lions’ defense came alive in the second, causing a three-and-out that led to freshman running back Robert Giaimo punching it in for a touchdown. Tayvian Weary recovered a fumble that led to another touchdown by Giamo.

Before the half, the defense forced another turnover with an interception caught by junior Kai Ross. Freshman kicker Logan Seibert kicked a 36-yard field goal to give the Lions the lead before the half.

“We knew what they wanted to do,” head coach Jed Stugart said. “We made some adjustments and we started tackling better.”

The second half was all in the Lions’ favor. Junior quarterback Cade Brister connected to senior receiver Glen Gibbons for a 33-yard touchdown pass that gave them a 10 point lead. Truman State marched the ball down the field, but the Lindenwood defense created their second interception, caught by senior linebacker Drew Seers. This was his third interception for the season. 

In the fourth quarter, Giaimo ran all over the Bulldogs, having an 84-yard drive, and ran 22 yards to pick up his third touchdown for the night. 

“He’s just one of those guys, he’s tough and he’s just strong,” Stugart said. “I can’t say enough about Robert, guys just rallied around him, and he’s a great leader.”

Giaimo rushed for 113 yards and three touchdowns. Brister threw for 291 yards and a touchdown. Junior Payton Rose led the Lions in receiving with 95 yards, and Gibbons followed with 79 yards and a touchdown.

Seers again led the Lions’ defense with 11 total tackles and an interception. Senior defensive back Grady Daniels followed with nine tackles, and Ross was behind him with seven tackles and an interception. 

The Lions will take on Quincy University next Saturday for homecoming.