Lions stay hot with win over Quincy in Homecoming Game

Spencer+Redd+%2818%29+runs+down+the+sideline+for+his+first+kick-off+return+touchdown+of+the+season.+The+Lions+won+the+game+against+Quincy+33-28+on+Oct.+9.+

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Spencer Redd (18) runs down the sideline for his first kick-off return touchdown of the season. The Lions won the game against Quincy 33-28 on Oct. 9.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions won their fourth consecutive game on Saturday in their Homecoming Game, winning by a final score off 33-28 against Quincy University.

The offense came out on fire in the first quarter, racking up 179 of total offense in 22 plays. Junior quarterback Cade Brister connected to senior tight end Clint Sigg for the first score in the game.

The defense responded after giving up a touchdown. Senior defensive lineman David Knox recovered a fumble to turn the ball over back to the Lions’ offense. 

In the second quarter, freshman running back Robert Giaimo scored on a one-yard run to stretch the lead to 14-7. Right after Quincy scored, the Lions fought back with a 97-yard kickoff return ran by sophomore receiver Spencer Redd.

The defense took over the rest of the half, causing two more turnovers. The first was a forced fumble caused by junior defensive lineman Sterlin Williams, and the other was an interception caught by junior defensive back Kai Ross. 

In the third quarter, the defense went back-and-forth against the Hawks’ offense. Ross accumulated two more interceptions, giving him three on the day, tied for the most in a single game in Lindenwood history.

Although the offense had their own trouble with turnovers, the Lions’ defense continued to hold steady, only allowing Quincy to score one touchdown in the third quarter.

The Lions’ offense put the game away with two passing touchdowns from Brister to Sigg and senior Glen Gibbons Jr. 

Brister finished the game completing 23 out of 28 passes with 285 yards and three total touchdowns. Giaimo ran for 119 yards and a touchdown. Sigg and senior Alex Faddoul led the team in receiving yards with over 70 yards. Sigg had two touchdowns. 

The Lions’ defense caused five turnovers in the game. Senior linebacker Drew Seers led the defense in tackles with 12 total and one tackle-for-loss. Grady Daniels followed with nine total, and Knox accumulated seven total tackles. Ross had three interceptions in the game.

The Lions will go on the road to take on the University of Indianpolis next Saturday, Oct. 15.