Lions climb to first place after win against Indianapolis

Photo by Jess

Junior quarterback Cade Brister looks down field to throw to his receiver against a Quincy defender in the homecoming game on Oct. 9.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions went on a 20-0 run to win by a final score of 28-20 against the University of Indianapolis.

The Lions struggled throughout the first half. The offense got into Indianapolis territory on their first drive, but freshman running back Robert Giaimo fumbled, turning the ball over to the Greyhounds.

Giaimo rebounded in the second quarter with a four-yard rushing touchdown to make the score 10-7 Greyhounds. The defense, however, struggled to find an answer to stop Greyhounds’ running back Toriano Clinton, who is second in the NCAA in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. 

In the second half, the Lions’ defense set the tone with a sack made by CJ McClure.

Giaimo capitalized with a two-yard rushing touchdown, his second of the game and eighth on the season. The defense continued to shut down the Greyhounds’ offense, causing them to go three-and-out on back-to-back drives. 

“Our defensive staff and coaching were outstanding,” head coach Jed Stugart said. “We came out, we kind of went with a more attacking type of mindset, and decided to start pressuring more.”

Brister found his rhythm in the fourth, connecting to junior receiver Alex Faddoul for a 27-yard touchdown pass. The defense continued to keep the Greyhounds out of the end zone for the rest of the fourth quarter. 

“The defense kept us in this game and won this game for us,” Stugart said.

Although Brister went down later in the fourth quarter, freshman quarterback Cole Dugger came in and stepped up. He finished the game with a back shoulder pass to junior Peyton Rose.

“Couldn’t be more proud of him (Dugger),” Stugart said. “They call him ‘Cool Man Luke’, nothing rattles him.”

The Lions return home to face Southwest Baptist next weekend at 1 p.m.