Lions rally in second quarter against Bearcats to improve to 6-2

Senior+running+back+Nash+Sutherlin+eludes+tackles+to+get+to+the+end+zone.+

Photo by Joshua Robinson

Senior running back Nash Sutherlin eludes tackles to get to the end zone.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions extended their win streak Saturday with a 48-24 win over Southwest Baptist. 

Lindenwood got off to a slow start in the first quarter, but the defense shifted the energy around with a blocked pass that led to an interception caught by senior defensive lineman Anthony Franks. The Lions were unable to get into the end zone, but settled for a 37-yard field goal by kicker Logan Seibert to make it 7-3 Bearcats. 

In the second quarter, the Lions made a huge turnaround. With the offense playing without senior quarterback Cade Brister, freshman quarterback Cole Dugger made his starting debut, connecting to junior receiver Payton Rose for a 33-yard touchdown pass. With great field position caused by the defense, senior Nash Sutherlin rushed for eight yards into the end zone to tie the game up at 17-17.

Sophomore wide receiver Spencer Redd ran back a 51-yard punt return to put the Lions up 24-17. The Lions’ defense took over the rest of the quarter. Senior defensive back Jordan Perry ran an interception back for another touchdown. Near the end of the quarter, the defense came up with another interception caught by senior defensive back Kai Ross. 

Dugger then capitalized with a touchdown pass to freshman wide receiver Jalen Bethany for the final score of the first half. Lindenwood out-scored Southwest Baptist 35-3 in the second quarter.  

The defense held Southwest Baptist scoreless in the third, while Dugger scored off of a two-yard quarterback keep.

Seibert extended the lead in the fourth with a 50-yard field goal to give the Lions a 48-24 lead. 

Dugger ended the game with 187 passing yards and two touchdowns, and Sutherlin ended with 71 rushing yards and a touchdown. Rose led the Lions in receiving with 61 yards and a touchdown. 

Senior tight end Clint Sigg followed with 50 receiving yards. Redd racked up 105 yards on kick returns.

Drew Seers had a season high of 19 total tackles on defense. Senior Keith Beverly had the second highest with eight tackles.

The Lions will head back on the road next Saturday to take on William Jewell at 1 p.m.