Men’s basketball drops home opener to Wisconsin-Parkside

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Freshman foward Frazier Ott attempts to hit a layup over two defenders in Lindenwood’s home game against Kentucky Wesleyan on Saturday, Nov. 13.

Justin Gonzalez, Reporter

The Lindenwood men’s basketball team fell short by a final score of 79-75 after almost mounting a 15-point comeback against the University of Wisconsin-Parkside for their first loss of the season.

The Lions and Rangers were tightly contested in the first half, with Lindenwood forcing eight turnovers. They struggled from the field shooting 43% and 33% from three.

Lindenwood’s defense held Wisconsin-Parkside to 39% shooting from the field, and only shooting 1/7 from the three point arc. Senior guard Jacoby Ross led the team in scoring at the half with 10 points.

The Lions attempted to comeback by bringing the deficit down to as low as two points with six seconds left in the game. Most of which came from senior forward Romelo Burrell from the free throw line, shooting 11-15 and ending with 22 points in the game.

The team forced a numerous amount of turnovers within the last five minutes of the game, which led to a momentum shift bringing the Lions within a one-score game.

Burrell led the Lions with 10 rebounds, adding to his 22 points to give him his first double-double of the season. Junior guard Kevin Caldwell fouled out in the middle of the second half, ending his night with nine points and four assists. Ross also added 11 points in the second half, bringing his total to 21 despite being held scoreless for the first 11 minutes of the half.

The Lions will face Kentucky Wesleyan College tonight at home at 7 p.m.