Football wins big on Senior Day over McKendree

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Senior linebacker Drew Seers gets in on a tackle against McKendree University.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The Lions’ football team finished the regular season with a 45-30 win over McKendree University on Saturday.

The offense came out on fire in the first quarter, with a two-yard touchdown run from senior running back Nash Sutherlin. After senior quarterback Alex Faddoul threw a deep ball to sophomore Spencer Redd, the true-freshman running back Robert Giaimo rushed 50 yards to give the Lions a 14-0 lead in the second quarter.

The Bearcats were able to get on the board to make the score 14-9, but the Lions responded with Faddoul connecting with junior receiver Peyton Rose for a 19-yard receiving touchdown before the half.

In the third quarter, Faddoul ran 35 yards for another touchdown, extending the lead 31-16. He then ran for another touchdown for 54 yards in the fourth to finish the game.

Faddoul ended the game with 261 passing yards, two passing touchdowns, 125 rushing yards, and two touchdowns on the ground.

Senior wide receiver Glenn Gibbons had 88 receiving yards, and Redd had 89. Senior linebacker Drew Seers racked up a total of 12 tackles and an interception. Senior linebacker Andrew Rodriguez also had 12 tackles. Peyton Rose is now placed second in the  program’s career leaderboard for receiving touchdowns with 26.

The NCAA Selection Show is on Sunday at 4 p.m., where the Lions will see who they will play in the Division II playoffs.