Women’s basketball picks up second win at home

Photo by Joshua Robinson

Sophomore guard Gracie Neff brings the ball up court during a matchup against Quincy University.

Joshua Robinson, Sports Editor

The women’s basketball team beat Quincy University 69-60 to earn their second win of the season on Thursday night.

The Lions controlled the first quarter, shooting 42% from the field. Senior forward Ellen McCorkle scored six of the team’s 17 points. 

Lindenwood continued its strong play in the second quarter. Sophomore guard Gracie Neff produced five assists, and McCorkle scored nine more points in the paint to put the Lions up by 15. 

The Lions kept stretching the lead in the third quarter. McCorkle and freshman guard Sophia Horton both had threes to extend the team’s lead to 22. Horton and senior guard Julia Ruzevich also contributed with three point shots of their own. 

The Lions struggled to score in the fourth. Sophomore guard Autumn Brown scored back-to-back layups, but the Hawks slowly brought the lead to a nine point deficit. Junior guard Emily Benzschawel scored a three to keep the lead in double digits. 

McCorkle led the Lions with 18 points and three rebounds. Ruzevich produced a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds. Horton racked up 12 points.

The Lions will host the University of Missouri St. Louis on Saturday at 1 p.m.