UPDATE: Lindenwood to allow spectators at sporting events

Photo by Jessica Spivey

Freshman guard Sharrod Taylor tries a jumper from beyond the arc during Lindenwood’s home game against Illinois-Springfield on Jan. 13 at Hyland Arena. The Lions were playing in an empty arena at home for the first time this season.

Selena Tuilaepa, Reporter

Updated Jan. 29, 2022, at 10:30 a.m. with information on the return of spectators at Lindenwood events. 

Lindenwood has re-opened the opportunity for spectators to attend games with the mandate of masks for all indoor events.

Th announcement came out Friday afternoon by Lindenwood Athletics.

The Pandemic Preparedness Task Force (PPT) presented its recommendations to Lindenwood’s Executive Cabinet, which led to this decision.

“The University will begin opening up additional in-person events and activities for the campus and community,” said Kelly Moyich, Associate Vice President, Student Affairs, Community Equity, and Inclusion, in an email to the student body.

Lindenwood had previously announced on Jan. 11 that spectators would not be allowed at any on-campus games. After a few weeks of this being in place, fans now have the opportunity to return to these events.

In the email, Moyich said that “food and concessions will be allowed at events, as feasible.” The only time spectators will be able to take off their masks at these events are while they are eating or drinking.

The PPT will evaluate this bi-weekly and update its policy if any changes are made.