Women’s hockey alumna wins silver medal in Winter Olympics

Former Lindenwood goalie Nicole Hensley skates on the ice before a Lindenwood game. Hensley and Team USA won the silver medal at the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Photo courtesy of Don Adams Jr.

Selena Tuilaepa, Reporter

Lindenwood women’s hockey alumna Nicole Hensley was awarded a silver medal after the United States fell to Canada 3-2 on Friday in the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Team USA began their quest for the gold medal on Feb. 3 where they defeated Finland. They then went on to defeat the Russian Olympic Committee and Switzerland in the prelims, before falling to Canada 4-2 in the final round of the prelims.

The rivalry between Canada and the United States went down to the wire, as the two countries met in the gold medal match on Thursday night (Friday afternoon in China). In the final, Canada dethroned the U.S. 3-2 sending the United States’ women’s team back home with the silver medal. In similar fashion, Team USA defeated Canada 3-2 in the final at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

In Beijing, the goalie depth chart consisted of Alex Cavallini, Hensley, and Maddie Roone. Hensley played in goal in a 5-0 shutout against the Russian Olympic Committee.

During Hensley’s tenure at Lindenwood, she achieved many accolades as a member of the women’s hockey team.

· NCAA Top 10 Award recipient

· Four-time all-CHA selection

· Nine-time selection as CHA Goalie of the Week

· Named as the CHA Goalie of the Month once

· All-time program leader in saves (4,094), wins (30), save percentage (.921), and shutouts (four)

· Three-time CoSIDA Academic All-American

· Four-time CHA Student Athlete of the Year

· Four-time selection to the CHA All-Academic team

· Three-time winner of the Colorado Sportswoman of the Year award

· Inducted into the Colorado Sportswomen of the Year Hall of Fame

With the 2022 Winter Olympics coming to a close, Hensley and Team USA will look to train for the next Olympic Games. The next Winter Olympics will be in 2026 in Italy.