Study-abroad program to explore Machu Picchu, Peru

Sofiya Melnychuk, Culture Editor

An opportunity to travel to Machu Picchu in Peru will soon be available for Lindenwood students.

On Feb. 28, an informational meeting will be held for the ‘Machu Picchu-Lake Titicaca’ Spring 2023 Study Abroad program. The meeting will take place at 12 p.m. in Young Hall 110.

The study-abroad program is an 11-day trip that’ll take place from May 8-18, 2023, in Peru. Students will be able to visit monuments that are a part of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This program is an ESC39002 Course built around cultural wealth, sustainability, and resilience. Associate Professor Dr. Ana Londono shared details about the program.

“Peru has a rich history, with well-preserved monuments and traditions from pre-Colombian times, juxtaposed to Spanish Colonial architecture and their traditions,” Londono said. “Many of the traditions and language have been preserved despite this cultural overprinting, which makes this study abroad experience fascinating.”

Because of the variety of places students will visit and the cultural immersion they will have, a weekly pre-departure orientation meeting will be taking place. Topics such as physical environment, sustainability, archaeology, and more will be discussed.

“The course involves a service-learning experience with a community in Peru. We will know what that experience will be once we are close to departure,” Londono said. “We get to share and work with a Peruvian community while working alongside them in a project of their choice.”

For those interested, the informational meeting can be attended in person or via this Zoom link.