Friends remember and honor Lindenwood alumna

Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun

Alexa Pressley’s Lindenlink staff profile picture for the 2019-20 school year.

Eva Laurens, Reporter

Former Lindenwood student-athlete Alexa Pressley died two weeks ago at her home in St. Louis, Missouri.

Pressley was 23 years old.

“When I think of Alexa, the first thing that comes to my mind is hard working,” said Mia Tebbe, a friend and former coworker of Pressley’s. “Man was she a driven, dedicated individual.”

Pressley was from Alvarado, Texas, and completed a bachelor’s degree in advertising and public relations in December.

“She is a natural born leader and always had some of the best ideas for advertising campaigns,” Tebbe said. “Alexa was intelligent. She is one of my peers whom I learned the most from while working together.”

Marie Davis, a close friend and classmate of Pressley, said she was always excited to see her.

“Alexa was more than someone to just sit next to in class, she was the person you looked forward to see so your day could be better,” Davis said. “She was part of a family we grew at Lindenwood, and became one of my best friends.”

Pressley played women’s volleyball at Lindenwood. Her passion for volleyball was admired, especially by her volleyball coach.

“On the court, she always seemed to jump higher celebrating than attacking,” head women’s volleyball coach Will Condon said. “She played hard and without fear. Maybe that’s why she could always do so much, because she did not have those same fears that most of us have.”

Pressley’s friend Taylor Fumagalli shared a memory she had with her.

“One day she came over and she had these tank tops randomly set aside for me because she knew I would like them so she bought them for me,” Fumagalli said. “We talked about making our own clothing line to give away at school.”

Tebbe said that Pressley’s presence was appreciated, including when the two worked together at Lindenlink during the 2019-20 school year. Both Tebbe and Pressley worked on the website’s social media pages.

Alexa Pressley (bottom, second to right) with the 2019-20 Lindenlink staff in the Media Lab in McCluer Hall. (Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun)

“I’m lucky and blessed to have known and learned from her,” Tebbe said. “I’m thankful for Lindenwood and programs like the Advertising and Strategic communications major, that allow us to create these close-knit bonds, where peers become more than an acquaintance in class. They become your family.”

Pressley’s friend Katie Werkema said that she always knew how to make people smile.

“She had an infectious personality and contagious smile, always making the people around her truly better,” Werkema said. “She had a huge heart and cared about her loved ones so much they never felt unloved or uncared for.”

Condon and Davis will miss Pressley and remember her.

“She should have had 50 more years to dream big and achieve it,” Condon said.

“I will miss you and so will everyone who ever got lucky enough to enjoy your presence,” Davis said. “Rest easy, and kick some butt in heaven Alexa.”