Lindenwood Student Government votes to deny Turning Point USA

Photo by Bobbie Morrison.

Bobbie Morrison, Culture Editor

Lindenwood Student Government voted to deny a proposed student organization on Sept. 26 with two votes to approve and 38 votes to disapprove.

Members of the student government have declined to comment on this decision at this time.

The student organization is called Turning Point USA and is known throughout the United States and on various college campuses to promote ideals such as capitalism and limited government.

According to their website, Turning Point USA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded by Charlie Kirk in 2012.

There have been many concerns from professors and college administrators throughout the nation that have stemmed from the national organization’s “Professor Watchlist” website, in which professors are targeted by the organization if they are suspected to discriminate against conservative students, promote anti-American values or teach leftist propaganda in the classroom. 

According to the American Association of University Professors, some professors have received death threats, threats of sexual violence and other threats directed toward themselves or their families. 

In an audio recording taken during the meeting, the president of the chapter presented his proposal for the organization to the general assembly in hopes to be recognized as a student organization.

“Our mission here is to facilitate ideas in which students can use to engage in political matters,” Cullen Dittmar said during his proposal. “We are open to everybody regardless of nationality, sexual orientation, race, sex, and all characteristics as recognized by federal and state law.” 

According to the meeting minutes published by the student government, the organization agreed to operate under Lindenwood protocols and voiced that it is not their intention to attack other groups on campus. Dittmar also stated in the recording that this organization would be open to conservatives, liberals, and libertarians. 

“We are not a Republican-only organization because the beliefs of capitalism and free market are ideals that transcend political parties,” Dittmar said. 

The meeting minutes include that Turning Point USA does not endorse political candidates or lobby legislation.