“Blast from the Past”: Lindenwood welcomes Homecoming week

Photo by Lauren Shelton

The Lindenwood band plays during the university’s 2021 Homecoming Week.

Catalina Corredor, Reporter

Lindenwood’s Homecoming Week 2022 is taking place from Oct. 17 to Oct. 22.

A wide variety of events are planned for students, faculty, alumni, and families to join together and celebrate Lindenwood’s pride. This year’s theme is “Blast from the Past”.

Hosted by Student Involvement, the spirit week will include events like the organization fair, the banner and lip-sync competition, as well as the pep rally, where student organizations will come together to show their creative side and love for Lindenwood.

“We encourage all of our student organizations that participate in spirit week events to be thinking about the theme as they design their floats, as they do their lip-sync competition and as they get ready to host a table for the student organization fair,” Director of Student Involvement Carynn Smith said.

Emily Sebourn and Sarah Kozy are part of Lindenwood’s special events team that oversees things like the Homecoming parade, taking place on Main Street on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 10 a.m. as well as the marketing for the entire week.

“If I could shout anyone out it would be them,” Smith said. “I think we work as a really great team to ensure that our students, faculty, and alumni all have a really great time.”

After the parade on Saturday, the Lion Pride Tailgate will take place at the Field House parking lot, followed by the homecoming Football game against Murray State University. The halftime will include a performance by the Lion Line Dance team as well as the coronation for Homecoming King and Queen.

“I’m so honored and happy to be on hoco court,” candidate for homecoming Queen Melody Rendon said. “I love Lindenwood, and homecoming week has always been a huge week for the school, so it’ll be so exciting to meet people and attend all events planned, especially the football game.”

Students are getting ready to bring their Lindenwood spirit into the week by actively participating in the events as well as appreciating all the hard work that Student Involvement and various student organizations have put into it.

“I like to attend different events on campus, and that is going to be a day full of so many different great activities that would be fun to go with your friends,” Student Government President Yovani Lopez said.  “I am excited to see the band playing, the homecoming parade, and to see all of the different organizations on campus showcase the best of their talent.”