SYNERGY to host informal dance concert

Photo by Jessica Spivey

A group of SYNERGY performers rehearse a dance for the informal dance concert.

Jessica Spivey, Photographer

The SYNERGY student dance organization is hosting an informal dance concert on Friday, Oct. 28.

SYNERGY gives students an opportunity to experiment with choreography and expand their dancing experience.

The concert will consist of 15 dances made by student choreographers.

“It’s a really good opportunity for people who are new and want to try out choreographing a piece or performing to have a chance to get started in that,” choreographer Zoelle Williams said.

Williams is presenting her piece titled “Is it my time?” in the informal dance concert. Williams said her piece tells the story of how each dancer has a unique experience of fighting obstacles to reach success.

“It’s supposed to be a reflection of how different everyone’s journeys can be,” Williams said. “Everyone goes through challenging times, but everyone gets their chance in the spotlight.”

The SYNERGY choreographers began creating their pieces in the beginning of September.

Choreographer Hannah Hopkins used her personal dancing experiences as inspiration when creating her piece “Inside my mind”.

“This piece describes how my brain works when I am dancing and choreographing,” Hopkins said. “The dancers move with the different layers of the music.”

Through the informal concert, SYNERGY hopes to expand their reach beyond students who are currently involved in the Lindenwood Dance Program.

“You don’t even have to have dance experience to join, we welcome anyone who is interested in dance in any way to come check out SYNERGY,” SYNERGY president Annesley Haring said.

The concert will take place at J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts on Friday at 6 p.m. in room 2100. There will also be a preview to the showing on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 8:45 p.m.

Capacity is limited to 50 people. Admission is free to the public.