Lindenwood football loses its penultimate game against Eastern Illinois State

Members+of+the+Lindenwood+Lions+offensive+line+watch+downfield%2C+as+they+prepare+for+an+upcoming+play+at+the+line+of+scrimmage.+
Photo by Josh Calloni
Members of the Lindenwood Lions offensive line watch downfield, as they prepare for an upcoming play at the line of scrimmage.

The Lindenwood Lions lost their penultimate game of the 2023 football season to Eastern Illinois State on Saturday, by a score of 16-10.

With the loss, the team now moves to 3-6 on the season, heading into the final game next weekend.

The Panthers got out of the gate quickly in the first quarter, scoring all 16 of their points within the first 15 minutes of the game. They got on the board first with a field goal, and then shortly after added six more points on a touchdown from wide receiver Eli Mirza. The Lions were able to avoid allowing the point after touchdown with a blocked kick by defender Tyrone Griffin, keeping the score at 9-0. The Panthers would score again in the first quarter, thanks to a four yard rushing touchdown by running back MJ Flowers.

Beyond that, the game was relatively quiet until the fourth quarter. Outside of a 45 yard field goal made by Lindenwood kicker Logan Seibert, neither team tallied points until the fourth. However, the Lions defense remained strong. Brendan Dye had 1.5 sacks of the quarterback, for a combined loss of 12 yards. Taylen Blalock had an interception in the Panthers red zone in the fourth quarter, forcing a huge turnover for the Lions.

In the final quarter of the game, the Lions would add seven points on a touchdown by wide receiver Chase Lanckriet, passed by quarterback Cooper Justice with just over a minute left in the game. Lindenwood attempted an onside kick to regain possession of the ball, but failed, losing possession and all but guaranteeing a Panthers win. Lindenwood got one final shot at a drive from their red zone with 15 seconds left in the game, but an immediate interception ended the threat, and the game.

On the offensive side of the ball, Lions receivers Spencer Redd and Jalen Smith both had over 80 receiving yards in the game. Redd led the team with 88, while Smith was closely behind with 83 of his own.

Next week, the Lions wrap up their season by welcoming Bryant University to Hunter Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Nov. 11, and the game doubles as Hometown Heroes day.