Lindenwood women’s ice hockey loses 8-2 against Penn State Nittany Lions

Photo by Ben Blizzard
St. Thomas student Gabby Billing (left) and Lindenwood student Karolina Sykorova (right) at the women’s ice hockey game on Nov.10 at Centene Community Ice Center.

The Lindenwood Lions women’s ice hockey team hosted the Penn State Nittany Lions in a two-game series at the Centene Community Ice Center on Nov. 4.

The Lions lost the Nov. 3 game with a score of 4-2 against the Nittany Lions.

In the first 90 seconds of the game, the Lions lost the opening faceoff and started playing defense in their own zone. Despite this, they quickly found their footing and tried to get a shot on goal, but they ran out of room to make the play.

Soon after that play, Penn State got on the board, scoring the first goal of the game,scored by forward Lexi Bedier, to give Penn State a 1-0 lead. Throughout the opening period, the Lions struggled to find momentum as they were outshot by Penn State 3-1. Lindenwood found themselves playing in their own zone frequently halfway through the opening period.

“Kids just gotta come out more focused,” Lindenwood Lions women’s head coach Taylor Wasylk said. “We responded well, but wanted to see us clean that up so we don’t put ourselves in that position again.”

The Lions couldn’t find the momentum they were looking for and ended up leading to another Penn State goal, scored by defenseman Alva Johnsson. However, the Lions had a short-lived second wind as Lindenwood forward Morgan Neitzke was able to get a scoring chance for the Lions, but her shot was saved by Nittany Lions goaltender, Josie Bothun.

Despite the struggle, the Lions found second wind once again near the end of the opening period, which led them to get shots on goal and create scoring chances. However, it wasn’t enough as the Lions entered the second period with a 2-0 deficit against Penn State, while being on the penalty kill.

“Trusting our speed,” Wasylk said. “It got us a lot of momentum.”

To begin the second period, the Lions began on the penalty kill as forward Sydney Rarick drew a two minute minor penalty from the opening period. The struggled to find momentum from the opening period slightly carried over to the second, but Lindenwood found themselves on the board as Lions forward Morgan Neitzke made the game 2-1.

While it seemed the demons had been slayed, the Nittany Lions scored seconds later to regain their two goal lead as the goal was scored by Leah Stecker.

“Not pleased,” Wasylk said. “On the bench we [the coaches] always tell them the next shift is huge. That didn’t happen. I’m not very happy with that.”

The Lions found themselves in their own zone once again, and Penn State made the game 4-1, as the fourth Nittany Lions goal was scored by forward Stella Retrum. After that goal, Lions goaltender, Natalie Ferenc was done for the night, as she was replaced by Emily Finach.

“Just looking for a change in momentum,” Wasylk said. “Looking to spice the team up.”

Halfway through the second period. Lindenwood’s frustrations continued as they were still playing in their own zone. However, the Lions caught a break and drew a penalty and had a great power play but weren’t able to score. Just a second later, after the power play ended, forward Olivia Grabianowski found the back of the net and made the game 4-2. However, a minute later Penn State defensemen Maggie MacEachern scored to help Penn State regain their three goal lead.

With three minutes remaining in the second period, Penn State found the back of the net once again. Forward Mya Vaslet gave Penn State a four goal lead over the Lindenwood Lions as the teams entered the third period.

“We were shooting the puck in the second period,” Wasylk said. “We’re buying into the game plan. We’re putting pucks on net and created a lot of scoring chances.”

At the start of the third period, the Lions started off strong but quickly found themselves in their own zone. Despite these bursts of momentum, Lindenwood struggled defensively which cost them to go on the penalty kill, but the Lions killed off the penalty.

As the third period progressed, Penn State seemed one step ahead of the Lions as they continued the pressure on Lindenwood, making them play defensively. Despite this continued pressure, the Lions reversed their luck halfway through the third period. However, the change for the Lions didn’t last long as Penn State went on to score two more goals, ending the game with an 8-2 loss against the Penn State Nittany Lions.

“Just to come out and win the period,” Wasylk said. “We were playing to win.”

The Lions dropped the two game series against Penn State Nittany Lions. Lindenwood will be back on the road as they take on Syracuse University on Nov. 17 at 6 p.m.