Student Media of Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri

Lindenlink

Student Media of Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri

Lindenlink

Student Media of Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri

Lindenlink

Sibley’s spirit lives on through dormitory

Sibleys spirit lives on through dormitory

Michael Sprague Legacy Contributor

Featured Photo courtesy of Mary Ambler Archives. Sibley Hall back in 1903.

This story is part of the “Names that built LU” weekly series issued by The Legacy that has been profiling 28 campus buildings named after Lindenwood personnel.

Story continues below advertisement

As the second oldest higher-education institution west of the Mississippi River, Lindenwood’s campus is full of history.

Founded as The Linden Wood School for Girls in 1827, both George Sibley and his wife Mary Easton-Sibley are credited as founders of the University.

Life-long pioneers, the Sibley’s did not leave their mark on just Lindenwood. George is often described as a politician, explorer and educator according to university archives.

George did a lot of work prior to his time in St. Charles, especially at Fort Osage, located just east of present-day Kansas City, Mo.  He was heavily involved in establishing relationships with local Indian tribes according to Missouri State Archives.

Mary Easton-Sibley was much of the same, though her biggest passion was in educating. Starting with educating her sister in, Mary continued teaching throughout her time in Fort Osage.

George Sibley (left) and Mary Easton Sibley (right). Photo courtesy of Mary Ambler Archives, Lindenwood University.
George Sibley (left) and Mary Easton Sibley (right). Photo courtesy of Mary Ambler Archives, Lindenwood University.

Upon settling in St. Charles, Mary Easton-Sibley began privately educating local women on various topics. In 1827, a formal building was established, and The Linden Wood School for Girls was born. The name was derived from the abundance of linden trees in the area.

Erected in 1857, Sibley Hall started out as a three-story, 73 X 48 foot building with a full basement.  Today the hall is considerably bigger, housing up to 120 female students, according to the student handbook. Sibley Hall also features the newly renovated Sibley Chapel.

According to the student handbook, Sibley Hall was dedicated in honor of both George and Mary. It stands today as the oldest building on LU’s historic campus.

The name “Lindenwood Hall” stood as the building’s name until 1909, when it was dedicated to the Sibley’s.

Today, Sibley Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Sites in the late 1970’s.

View Comments (3)
Donate to Lindenlink
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists who produce Lindenlink. Your contribution will help to cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to Lindenlink
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (3)

Comments are Closed.
All Lindenlink Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest