Connor Harris sets MIAA, NCAA tackle records in football’s season-ending loss

Phil Scherer | Legacy Managing Editor
From Print [Nov. 17, 2015] | Legacy

Harris4
Connor Harris (16) tracks down Thor Long (11) during the Lions season finale against Northeastern State.
Photo by Carly Fristoe

In Saturday’s season-ending 17-14 loss for the Lindenwood football team, linebacker Connor Harris recorded 15 total tackles, finishing the season with 184, the most ever in a single season by a Division II defender.

The previous record for single season tackles was 177, set by Jake Edmiston of the University of Colorado-Mesa in 2013.

In addition, Harris is also now the career leader in tackles in MIAA conference history with 495 tackles in his three seasons with the Lions. Harris surpassed Nate Dreiling of Pittsburg State, who had held the record for the past two seasons.

Since Harris is only a junior, he will have the ability to add onto his career tackle record when he returns for his final season. Should he remain healthy throughout next season, it appears likely that Harris will break the Division II record for career tackles which currently sits at 517, just 22 away from his current total.

Head football coach Patrick Ross said he is not surprised by the accomplishments Harris is piling up during his time at Lindenwood.

“We absolutely knew he was going to be a star in this league the moment he got here,” Ross said. “He is a Division I talent kid, an NFL talent kid. He is just a very special football player.”

Ross added that for as good as Harris is on the field, he is an even better person off the field.

“He earns everything he gets,” Ross said. “He works his butt off in the weight room, in the classroom, in life. He truly deserves everything that he is getting right now.”

FieldGoalBlockHarris
Connor Harris dives horizontally over the Northeastern State line to block a field goal.
Photo by Carly Fristoe

Despite the personal accomplishments, Harris is quick to give credit to his teammates, who he believes make all the difference in his game.

“Those records aren’t just broken by me, they are broken by the entire team,” Harris said. “My teammates do a great job of picking up their assignments which allows me to make all the tackles that I make.”

Harris added that although the personal accomplishments are great, his goal as he enters his final collegiate season is to become the best leader he can be and help his team pick up more victories, regardless of what his overall statistics may look like at the end of the season.

“I am just going to concentrate on getting better,” Harris said. “I am going to continue doing what I’m doing and help lead this team to the best of my ability and pick up a few more wins for this program next year.”