Men’s basketball blown out by Quincy

Photo by Carly Fristoe
LUs Brad Newman commits an offensive foul while driving toward the basket against Quincy.
Photo by Tom_Fristoe
Photo by Carly Fristoe LU’s Brad Newman commits an offensive foul while driving toward the basket against Quincy.

Phil Scherer | Managing Editor
Dec. 1, 2015; 10 p.m.

Following a week away from the court, the Lindenwood men’s basketball team returned to the Hyland Arena, falling to Quincy University 88-72.

The Quincy Hawks dominated the Lions from three-point range in the contest, connecting on 15 of their 23 three-point attempts. Overall, the Lindenwood defense allowed Quincy to connect on more than 50 percent of its shots.

Photo by Carly Fristoe LU's Brad Newman commits an offensive foul while driving toward the basket against Quincy.
Photo by Carly Fristoe
LU’s Brad Newman commits an offensive foul while driving toward the basket against Quincy.

“I thought our energy was poor,” Lindenwood head coach Lance Randall said. “I thought we were soft defensively, and I think we sort of let them them dictate the tempo of the game on both sides of the ball.”

For the Lions, center Stanislas Heili was the leading scorer, recording 23 points in the game in addition to his eight rebounds. LU struggled from three-point range throughout the game, connecting on just three of 11 attempts.

The Lions return to action on Saturday afternoon against Lincoln University as the conference portion of the schedule begins. Randall said his team needs to make a series of adjustments as they move into this critical point in the season.

“We have to stay hungry,” Randall said. “We have to do all the little things right in each possession and carry that over from possession to possession through the game.”

He added that many of the things he saw during the game worry him, and he wonders how that will translate once conference play begins.

“I am very concerned about some of the things we are doing defensively, or that we aren’t doing defensively,” Randall said. “I don’t really see a solution that is going to fix all of those issues in a matter of days.”